Signals to the reader

When I was at Berkeley last week, I met with my dissertation advisor John Lindow. We had a good conversation, although it was only an hour long and we had a lot of things to talk about. Mostly of course he as my advisor is trying to figure out where I need help, and that takes time and a good understanding of what I am trying to argue and accomplish.

One thing we both got excited about was a brief discussion we had about the moments in saga where the audience is reminded of the author's voice, like when it says, "and now he is out of the saga." Such moments give the reader an opportunity to reflect on the role played by a particular character, and marks, even more than capitals or other apparatus, that a new chapter is begun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps