National Park

Going to the National Parks in the U.S., and especially in California, stands out as some of my favorite childhood memories. Yosemite, Sequia, Grand Canyon, etc. So when I heard about Skaftafell National Park here in Iceland for the first time a few months ago, I got really excited. I in fact had been there as a child, had seen the famous waterfall, but it had seemed at the time like one more amazing site in Iceland (or perhaps it was not yet formally a National Park?). Two days ago I heard the temperature there was hitting 18 degrees celcius, so I had even more of an incentive to go. 


So I decided this morning, looking out over a foggy Reykjanes and a semi-bored looking Dave (Palmer was off at leikskoli)* that the thing to do was take a road trip to Skaftafell.  When I called a hotel in Vík to check on availability, the desk clerk said, "Yes, and hopefully the ash fall will clear up by tomorrow." Right. A volcano lies between me and Skaftafell.


Well, so I might not make it all the way to Skaftafell this trip, but the temperature also looks to be nice around Fluðir, so that will have to do for now.

*When we announced this great plan to Palmer he started crying, and said that he wanted to go to leikskola again tomorrow. It is bring a toy to school day. He wanted to show off his lamborghini. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps