Svana and Sigga

Two of my mother's first cousins, who grew up around the corner from her here in Keflavík but then both moved to Reykjavík, came to the lecture yesterday. I was so happy to see them in the audience, I almost started crying. Instead, as soon as the lecture was over, and before the questions were over, we all snuck out to start chatting. They asked about my family, especially my mom. And then I told them about my son being here in Iceland. He was over at my cousin's house (I thought the lecture might not quite be his cup of tea), and I so wanted to go get him so that they could see him. They have not seen him since he was 2 years old, and were really curious how he is growing.

So now I think I am starting to understand how my mom feels when she comes here to Iceland, and ironically one of the reasons she does not come more often. When she comes, she wants to see EVERYONE: every first and second cousin she used to play with, and to meet those she never did spend enough time with as a kid also. Every schooldays friend, every Icelander-who-lived-in-the-US-and-is-now-back-in-Iceland, etc. That adds up to a lot of people.

That is how I am feeling about Palmer being here. I want him to see everyone, meet everyone, play with every cousin he can possibly play with, as much as possible. I want him to understand there is a whole, wonderful society here on this windy, cold island, where he can make plenty of friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps