Facebook friends

One of the first people to friend me when I joined facebook was a guy in Turkey. I have kept him on my friend's list for no apparent reason, except it was nice to feel welcomed into the community somehow by him. Then I started adding lots of my friends from highschool and college, and then foreigners living in Iceland, and now I am building up my Icelandic friends, even getting added by Icelanders I do not know but who may either be related to me or know someone I know--one older guy living in Akureyri that I friended recently had the good advice that I should start taking Lysi cod oil every night for my aching wrists. I guess that makes him a real friend, and not just a facebook friend, but it is hard to say.

Yesterday I got a request from Alisa, a Texan living in Iceland, to be my friend. She would have been my 201st friend, if I had said yes without removing someone. Since I had already made the decision not to go over 200 friends, I went ahead and deleted a couple of old highschool acquaintances, so that I could make room for the Texan.

But still I rather feel facebook is unnecessary and redundant here in Iceland, when you are bound to run into lots of people all the time whom you sort of know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
well, I use it for advertizing and to keep up with my friends - no we don't run into each other all the time even though the place is small.

I have over 1200 "friends"...
Lissy said…
I am very glad you friended me, Hildigunnur! I am always tempted to come to one of your concerts!
Jon Frimann said…
Facebook hefur takmörkin við 5000 vini, eftir það þarftu aðdáendavefsíðu.

Annars nota ég facebook til þess að hafa samskipti við fólk. Bæði við fólk sem ég kynnist á internetinu og beint.

Ég mun nota facebook svo lengi sem það er notað af fleirum en mér. Ég nýlega eyddi út MySpace hjá mér, enda ónotað og alger óþarfi að vera með það.
Anonymous said…
be very welcome - next concert's March 7th - two actually, one with my choir and another with (I think) a first performance of a piece of mine. Glad to be your friend too :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps