Gift card

I am giving my cousin here in Iceland a gift card for the book store in honor of her graduation from highschool. I recently gave a bookstore gift card to my niece in California for Christmas.

Now some say (including my friend David) that a gift card is a silly gift, and I can kind of see this. I remember one time just before Christmas, a guy standing in line in front of me at the grocery store, wanting to buy a bunch of giftcards all at once, just so he could say he was done with is Christmas shopping. So there is that air to a gift card, that the giver was just plain lazy. I guess a person is always supposed to go the full nine-yards, picking out a special gift with all the bells and whistles, something that took ages to track down, beating up grandmothers and climbing walls to procure. And if you aren't willing to do that, then well just admit it and give cash. To me though cash is really impersonal, and totally general. Now a gift card may not be the most special gift, but if it is to a store which shows some knowledge of the likes and needs of the recipient, and acknowledges that the recipient actually likes to shop, to browse the isles considering possibilities, than I think a gift card is a thoughtful gift. But it is a subtle distinction.

Comments

mlb said…
I used to feel the same way as David. But now I love gift cards as a recipient. About 9 times out of 10, a gift isn't what I'd pick out for myself. And I've got enough candles and body lotion. If it were cash, I'd feel obliged to do something practical with it. Like save it. But a gift card? Well if you INSIST that I buy something at Banana Republic or download a couple of albums, well, then I guess I will. And I'll love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps