Night of the Iguana

When I was 12 years old, my mom, who had been a domestic whiz up until that point, decided to go back to school, and started off at the local college. I remember being really proud of her for doing that. So you can imagine how proud I was, when for my 13th birthday, she took me to a play at her college. It was the first live theatre I had ever been to, and probably only the second live performance of any sort (the first being a symphony orchestra with my elementary school).

I remember so many things about that night with amazing clarity, where we sat, the face of the actress playing the lead, the set design. I remember also a few other people in the audience; the male couple sitting behind us caught my attention as I recall (I was 13 afterall). When the performance was over, I was no where ready to go home, I really wasn't.

So live theatre has always seemed like something rather special to me, and indeed, a lot of Americans never go to the theatre. It is thought rather to be the activity of the elite in Manhattan or something. And of course in Southern California, movies were the thing.

But live theatre in Iceland, well, especially in Reykjavik, seems to be very widely enjoyed. I know many people with season tickets and people very casually mention going, as if everyone goes to the theatre. There are also multiple play houses, and a very diverse line-up of offerings.

A few weeks ago, though, my cousin told me that she had taken her son to the theatre in Reykjavik for the first time, and he really loved it. It was his 10 year birthday.

So, some things do stay the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps