Long nap

Well, I took a long nap and although I have to get up early in the morning, I am rather waiting for Dave and Palmer to call, so I can see him before I go to bed. Since they aren't home yet (5:30 California time, they should be...), I am keeping myself entertained.

And I am thinking about marriage.

Before I moved to Iceland, I would have probably guessed that the range of types of marriages, in terms of the emotional dynamics, would have been the same between Iceland and California. But there are in fact fewer of the two-income career obsessed couples here in Iceland (at least amongst people I know), and also less of the "I married my best friend" type couples here.

My former brother in law was named Andy. He was married to Debbie. They were great friends. They had all the same hobbies, liked to cook the same sort of food, had the same political views. They both had important, well paying jobs, especially her, but because they had no kids, and no animals, they still had lots of time for each other. It was weird hanging out with them, because in some ways it seemed like they were an ideal couple, and in other ways it seemed awful. Because I was always a little uncomfortable with the idea that friendship was the same thing as love, and therefore the right basis for a marriage. They were lifelong roommates, as far as I could tell.

I do not know any couples like that here in Iceland. There may be a lot of things wrong with Iceland, but  a lack of love is not one of them.

Comments

Jon Frimann said…
Það er önnur sambandsmenning á Íslandi en í Bandaríkjum, og það er allt önnur menning í þessum málum á meginlandi Evrópu. Breytist jafnvel á milli svæða innan sama lands.

Þetta er þó allt saman í grunnin vestrænt, en samt öðrvísi.
Lissy said…
Já, þetta er það sem mér finnst er svo ahugavert, að landið mann kalla "Western" geta vera svona fjölbraut.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps