Snorri Sturluson

My hotel room here in Reykholt (which I am sharing with a German woman who does not speak English, which works out well) has an amazing view over the greenhouses and up the valley towards the glaciers, where the clouds hang almost all day long, except for a brief moment in the middle of the day. 

I am sure I should be downstairs socializing with my colleagues, but I wanted to come up here, and watch the sunset instead. And I think I can see why Snorri got so much good thinking done here, so much good writing. There is strength in the place, a sense of clarity. 

The Norwegians are talking about honoring Snorri´s memory by a dip in Snorralaug at midnight tonight, which I guess would be the other way to do it.   

Comments

Lissy said…
Sturla Thordarson also did a lot of writing here, of course. Ulfar recently called him a trickster figure, which I believe, since I think he may have written Morkinskinna just to piss his uncle off.
Norwegians should not dip into Snorralaug. The pool has a dangerous thermal bacteria, which the Icelanders became resistant to long time ago. Norwegian dippers usually fall dead entering the sacred waters of Reykholt. Norwegians should enjoy the old refreshing sport of fish-beating, instead of entering Snorri's private jacuzzi.
Lissy said…
As it turns out, on the last night of the conference, two girls in bathing suits were joined by 5 men not in bathing suits in Snorralaug. I was not one of the two girls, btw. Thank god.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps