Archaeological sites

Yesterday we went out to Eirikstadir, before heading out on our boat ride.

I found myself thinking about protocol on a site like that, how delicate and careful one ought to be about where one steps or where one throws one's garbage. They have indeed excavated the site, removing all the archaeological remains, so I was not so worried about the main hall. That has been 'closed', ie: by covering everything over with plastic and then thick layers of sod. But the outfields seemed to me to contain more archaeological features, like a stone boundary marker, and I was concerned about what possible damage might be done by a bunch of us tromping around up there. 

There weren't any Icelandic archaeologists around to ask though (besides the guides who were quite busy), all of them finding ways to get back to Reykjavik, except me. Then again I am not really an Icelandic archaeologist. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps