On not playing a role

It turns out that the person visiting me just now is also from Southern California. Her and I both understand the pros and cons of the anonymity afforded by life in Southern California. It boils down to not playing a role.*

To take this phrase in a negative sense, one can say it means one is not a part of what is going on. One has no say, one's actions do not affect the outcome.

To take this phrase in a positive sense, it means that one is not confined to a role. That what I choose to give to society, to my family and friends, I give not because I am obliged by societal roles, but because it is something I want to do. No one will judge me one way or another, because in fact no one will know. 

To take this phrase in its metaphysical sense, it means that who I am is more than the roles I fulfill. 

* I note the irony that in a society like this, Hollywood films should be produced. Or perhaps this paradox is exactly the point. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps