On eating whale

Tonight I´m having spaghetti for dinner.  Last night I was in Greenland, at my colleagues house, and his wife, who is native Greenlandic, had made us a nice appetizer (the husband cooked the main course - lamb!). One side of the appetizer plate was salmon wrapped around a sourcream and onion filling, with green onions on top. Very tasty salmon. In the middle was a small bowl of soy sauce, and to the right were chunks of beluga whale skin, with nice pink blubber attached. As we sat down to eat, she said to me, 'Have you ever eaten whale before?'.  Well, I had the distinct impression she was testing me with this question, and thus I cooly answered, 'Yes, the native Alaskans that visited us at the Smithsonian used to bring matasuk pretty often, and of course up in Dalvík last summer I had some great whale steak tartare. Served with soy sauce, actually.' 

The little person inside of me always does a happy dance when I pass tests like this. 

Comments

ג. ג. said…
Are you going to post some pics from Greenland?

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps