Norræna vs. North Atlantic

First I would just like to say the weather today was delicious! It was too bad I was too busy talking to one contractor after another to enjoy it, but on the plus side, I actually feel I am getting something done, and that is the best stress reliever of all. 

As I was eating dinner, I decided to flip on the news, see what was up. Iceland has a new government today! Just like that! Ta Da! It is actually the same government it has had since January, but that is OK, it is a good government, an interesting government, with lots of differing viewpoints on matters but a genuine desire to work together. What could be better than that?

Anyhow, the heads of the two parties that will form the new government met at Norræna hús, and held their extremely informal press conference outside (I guess owing to the LOVELY weather...). Johanna made a big deal about the symbolic importance of being outside of Norræna hús, the idea I guess being that Iceland was going to rejoin the other Scandinavian countries in Social Democratic reforms, after 18 years of what I guess was an experiment at Americanization of the Icelandic welfare state. (as an aside, it is truly amazing what a negative connotation the word welfare has in American English - for no fault of the word itself, it is a cute little word if you parse it). 

We at Vikingaheimar on the other hand are sort of shooting for a middle ground - Iceland as part of a North Atlantic regional area, one spanning from Norway to the U.S., and including the British Isles, Canada, and Greenland. When the North Atlantic is mapped, Iceland is smack dab in the middle, the center of attention, an unfamiliar but not unwelcome place to be.

Well, this blog entry has no real point other than to demonstrate how much I missed blogging today! 

Comments

ג. ג. said…
I admire your blogging skills.
Lissy said…
Well thank you! I actually had a very good teacher on the art of blogging, without whose example I would never have forayed into this world of wonder.
ג. ג. said…
Does he or she blog?
Lissy said…
Not any more, oddly enough.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps