My dad's dad

My dad's dad was named August, and so my dad's older brother was named August, as was August's oldest son. But no one in the United States is really called August much these days. Even my uncle, he went by Gus. So when I came here to Iceland, I was happy to see that the name August is very much in currency here: that means if I ever have another child, I could name it August after my American grandfather, but it would sound perfectly Icelandic. Even the variation Augusta for a girl is pretty common here, but if I had a girl I think I would name her after my father's grandmother, the woman who basically raised him, Katrine. Thankfully, that works in Icelandic also. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Could always go for Katrín Ágústa or Ágústa Katrín, both sound fine :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps