Marketing

A lot of people I know have gone into marketing. My first boyfriend. My first husband thought about and then changed his mind, became an academic instead (or tried to). A friend here in Iceland did the same. Dave has a marketing degree but went into the Coast Guard. I myself have never toyed with the idea much, although my mom told me on several occasions that I would be a good company spokes person (I rather doubt that, I am far too eager to express my opinion!). 

Today, as myself and our marketing manager were having words over our marketing strategy, I started thinking about marketing in general. Or the propensity for people to believe the projected image, to be attracted to a projected image. Men that like women who are thin and smart and accomplished with a pretty face. This is what Derrida called loving for characteristics. Marketing depends on us projecting those characteristics that visitors will find appealing. Instead of just letting them come and see for themselves the content, make up their own minds about our character, instead we tell them in advance what characteristics to look for. 

Sometimes I really, really wish I had a greater capacity to accept ready made systems of thought. But nope, instead each time, each new circumstance, I like to think anew from the ground up. It drives my coworkers crazy.  

Comments

Ko-Leen said…
I always wanted to go into marketing :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps