Sobriety certification

I attended an event at 6pm yesterday, a Monday afternoon, and was quite surprised by the number of people I talked to that had a distinct alcoholic odeur. Beer was being served at the event, but this was not a beer smell. For some reason, this got me thinking about the American marriage license provision: one has to swear to the court official that one is not drunk before a marriage license will be granted. I guess I was thinking this may account for why marriage is less common here in Iceland than in the U.S. 

But no, I am just kidding. I do not by any means think this is an isle of lushes. They are just the ones more likely to talk to me. 

Comments

Ko-Leen said…
they made me swear this too in Canada

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps