on Jenna

I am really sorry to report that an American friend of mine, who had decided to move here to Iceland all on her own and to begin a new line of work, is going to have to go back to New York. She is the first real victim of the financial collapse here that I know of personally, and it is especially ironic because now she'll have to go back to reporting on financial matters, the very thing she was trying to escape, instead of reporting on the environment, an issue she really cares about. I think it is just a shame, since it seemed like such a good idea, to try something new. But it also means that somewhere lurking in the images of Iceland abroad is the idea that it, and not the United States, is the land of opportunity.

And it also means that I really ought to make sure I get some work done. Bless í bilið.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps