Ant hills

Driving down a country rode in Georgia, my eye lingered on a field full of small piles of loose, red dirt. Must have been about 50 of them, on a 3 acre field. Then I started noticing these piles of dirt everywhere, and was completely puzzled. Were they gopher holes? Some sort of irrigation technique? It wasn't until I asked Dave's mom that my worst fears were confirmed: they were ant hills. I suppose I have spent too much time in bug-free Iceland, because insects were the furthest thing from my mind. But I should have remembered the particularly tenacious red fire ants of Georgia from my wedding. We got married out at Dave's uncle's farm, and had done our best to rid the field of ant hills the day before, but still, one showed up in the middle of the reception area, just in time to make my sister vacate her seat. I guess the Icelandic equivalent would be getting married at Lake Myvatn just in time to have a swarm of gnats fly by. Knowing me, I would probably forget about them also. Such is the curse of being an optimist.

Comments

Iris said…
O, your sister got out of her seat? I suffered through the ceremony, biting my lip and later in the hotel room I had the worst allergic reaction to those beasts! I still have small scars on my feet from their bites.
I certainly enjoyed the bug-freeness of Iceland.
Lissy said…
Oh, I am so sorry! They swarmed all over me the day before the wedding, but thankfully I was not allergic! You have a lasting legacy of Lissy's Romanticism, I guess. "Wouldn't an outdoor wedding be lovely? In the cow pasture?"
Iris said…
Well, I also have a great bunch of positive memories from that day. Getting drunk with Wendy and Dorothy being just one of them ;)
Happy new year and I hope everything falls in place for you in 2009!
Lissy said…
Well, not all ants can be as nice as your Ant.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps