David takes responsibility

I guess I'm far too used to American politics, but I was really pretty stunned to see the former prime minister, and now the leader of the national treasury, on the evening interview show. He talked about the past, the present, and the future. Like most politicians, squirming about the past was not so pretty; he tried to say he warned of this collapse five years ago. His answer about the present was more impressive: he explained that the Icelandic government decided to just say "no thanks" to shouldering the foreign debts Icelandic banks had accrued when they nationalized the banks, making their stocks worthless. In other words, taking care of Iceland and Iceland's children was more important than keeping businessmen around the world happy. It was his answer about the future I liked best, he was perfectly willing to quit if that would make Icelanders feel better. 

I haven't heard any politician in the U.S. make a similar offer. 

Comments

Iris said…
Mmh, German politicians offer their resignation for about everything that goes wrong, even if minor. Somehow it always seemed to me that they are just avoiding responsibility with that. Like "I messed up and now I will leave the picture. Goodbye".
Of course, I do not want to make anyone feel even worse now. Banks are tanking in Germany as well...

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps