að blogga

According to a recent news item, one-third of Icelanders write a blog, and two-thirds of Icelanders read blogs.  I am absolutely sure the statistic is not 1/10 (or 1/100?) of that in the United States. I've tried to come up with an anthropological explanation for this that is slightly more sophisticated than some sort of pop-psychology (all Icelanders are starved for attention), but I guess further fieldwork is required.  Of course the Nordic countries are very tech savvy, and this may just be an outgrowth of that.  It's a bit of a shame though; the U.S., which is not a very cohesive society, needs technology to connect much more so than Iceland.  

Comments

mb said…
Haven't a relatively large number of Icelanders published books as well? I think I remember hearing that just as a one-off from a professor, but if it's true, maybe it's all part of the same thing--the importance of literacy/literature, etc. in Icelandic culture.
Lissy said…
Yeah, good point. Some of the blogs are indeed highly literate, though others are not.

Popular posts from this blog

Violists

On Icelandic doctors

Mailing list