It all makes perfect sense

I made a quick trip down to Southern California Friday and Saturday, and although I had seen my mom, my dad, and my brother just a few weeks ago for my graduation ceremony, apparently in the interim I have gained a significant amount of weight. Of course I knew I was trending in that direction, but it wasn't until this weekend, when my mom and dad and brother all separately, and without malice, made the straight forward comment that I have put on some weight that I realized it has now gotten to the point where not only do I notice it, so do others. It was perhaps especially noticeable because my brother has, in contrast, lost at least 10 pounds since I last saw him 2 weeks ago.

So this led to the typical conversation about why I am gaining weight. The explanations bandied about included: 1) I am sitting at my desk too much, writing my dissertation, and snacking; 2) I am not getting enough exercise; 3) I am not terribly happy these days and I always gain weight when I am unhappy; 4) American food is so full of hormones that it makes everyone in this country fat; 5) I am not drinking as much water as I did when I lived in Iceland.

I was of course heavily endorsing explanations 4 and 5 much more so than explanations 1 and 2 in these conversations. But just now, when I went to the fridge with the thought to eat a piece of nectarine, and instead pulled out a piece of cheesecake, it occured to me I cannot simply assign all of this to my present lack of a steady supply of Icelandic water.

Comments

William said…
There must be SOME way to import large quantities of Icelandic water!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps