Appropriate beginnings

American academic essay writing is different than Icelandic in a lot of little ways. I notice this often, since I teach the American style but read a lot of Icelandic essays. Basically this means I am mentally editing all the Icelandic essays I read to conform more to the American system.

Right now I am trying to teach my students, most of whom are Asian, the American essay writing style.

One of the biggest challenges with the American essay is coming up with a good beginning. One that isn't too dramatic or over stated (ie: since the beginning of time man has sought the truth of the universe) because that is just forced and inauthentic and too much pressure for one little college essay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps