Special event planning

My sister is trying to get a position at the Nordic Heritage Museum doing special events coordination and fundraising. I think this is find of funny, because when I mentioned to people that I would like a special events coordinator at Vikingaheimar, they look at me like I am crazy. I suppose a position like that seems unnecessary in Iceland, where things just sort of work out somehow or another. It is the rare big PR stunt that is actually coordinated by one individual in Iceland; usually people just kind of know what is going on and do their own thing and the end result, through happenstance, usually turns out fine. But in America, advanced effort, gathering together a team, holding meetings, figuring out the sequence of events, that sort of planning is done even for relatively simple events. The nice thing about this is that little details, like getting the decor and the mood of an event just right, get taken care of, and not just the gross outlines of having some food and a place to go. A special events coordinator brings finesse and polish to an event that might otherwise be fine, but perhaps not truly satisfying.

Anyhow, I hope my sister gets the job, because that kind of job is a lot of work, but can also be a lot of fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ég verð verkefnisstjóri fyrir stóra norræna tónlistarhátíð hér á næsta ári - bæði hlakka til og kvíði fyrir...

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps