So excited!

Tomorrow we are opening a new exhibition about the landnám archaeological site in the village of Hafnir. It will be integrated into our existing upstairs exhibition dealing with the settlement of the North Atlantic, but will provide a specific example of some general trends. The archaeologist who conducted the dig, Bjarni Einarsson, has been consulting with us, and Byggjasafn Reykjanesbær, which helped coordinate the dig last summer, is also coordinating this exhibition. So the exhibition development has been a neat group cooperation, which suits me very well. I really prefer to have people to talk to, with whom ideas get clarified and sharpened. I think, or at least I hope, that they have felt the same about working with me. I have been a bit picky about how to frame the text and the organization of the exhibition, since, well, I am the curator of the museum.

Anyhow, it opens tomorrow at 11am with a lecture from Bjarni.

I expect it to be one of several such projects to keep improving and expanding on the exhibition at Vikingaheimar. The components we got from the Smithsonian provided a very nice foundation, but it needs constant work, constant expansion with new information, constant integration of local examples, and hopefully special exhibition that go outside of that frame entirely.

You are welcome to join us, and enjoy all of Safnahelgi Reykjanesbæjar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps