On Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve it turns out is a much bigger holiday here in Iceland than Christmas Day. In the United States, some families celebrate together Christmas Eve, some do it on Christmas Day, some do a little each day. But my cousin stopped by today and explained to me the rule about gift giving here, that it is all supposed to be done by 6pm Christmas Eve, and then all the presents open after dinner. Good to know, although I had already arranged things such that I have presents to deliver tomorrow. As an American, I reserve this right, I think. And anyhow, the main thing with a gift, any gift, is that one have in mind the needs of the recipient, and give them something you think they do not already have. A gift like that is always really, really appreciated, in my experience.

With warmest holiday greetings to all that read this. May you enjoy tonight, and tomorrow, and have a feeling of peace in your heart.

Comments

HT said…
Gleðileg jól!
Knute Rife said…
Traditional in both Norway and Iceland that Christmas Eve is the big celebration. My wife had trouble understanding it at first.
Kristín said…
Gleðileg jól! Og auðvitað máttu nota útlendingapassann, annað væri nú ekki.
Anonymous said…
Gleðileg jól

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps