Bedding

I was mighty surprised to see the delight in my young cousin's faces when they opened the Christmas gifts from their grandmother. She had given all three of her grandkids a new bedding set, and they raved about it. I blinked my eyes, a bit confused. Then I read a blog (I think Matthias?) saying something about having washed his bedding Christmas eve or day. My anthropological nose was sniffing. What was the deal with bedding and Christmas? A co-worker explained how nice it feels after the big Christmas eve meal and busy day to get into a bed with clean and new sheets. I do not doubt this, but I rather suspect that this as a Christmas tradition in Iceland probably has something to do with the days when Iceland was a little less well off than it is nowadays.

At any rate, we in the U.S. do not make an especially big deal about bedding around Christmas time. Still I think it is a nice idea, and thus I decided to put a different blanket on my bed last night. It is one full feather duvet, instead of the two half duvets I have slept with all year. Must say it feels nice, even if it is not Christmas eve.

Comments

Anonymous said…
tja, ég held að málið sé bara að maður vill hafa það eins gott og mögulegt er á jólanótt og bað og tandurhrein náttföt og rúmföt eru stór partur af því. Væntanlega lastu þetta á mínu bloggi, ég talaði allavega um jólabaðið og að skipta á rúmunum :)

Krakkarnir mínir hafa stundum fengið rúmföt í jólagjafir, þeim þykir ekkert slæmt að fá mjúka pakka.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps