12 21

Right, Ok, this is a petty little thing. Hardly even really worth mentioning. But anyhow, since I am home at 9pm on a Saturday, perhaps even vaguely bored, ah, here you go.

When giving out phone numbers, people sometimes say the numbers in pairs "Twenty-two Fourty-five Sixty-eight eleven", instead of "Two Two Four Five Six Eight One One." This happens in the U.S. as well. I have heard people say a sequence of numbers in this paired-up way for addresses, bank accounts, all sorts of things.

But I have never been to a grocery store, neither in Iceland nor in the U.S., where the amount due was told to me in this way. That is, until tonight.

There I am buying some milk and chocolate cake, still a bit groggy from my nap, and the cashier says, extremely quickly, "tolvtvotugureitt" (twelve twenty-one). I could have sworn he was speaking Russian to me or something. When I asked him to repeat what he said, he said "Eitt þúsand tvóhundruð tutugur og eitt" and I was like, "That is not what you said the first time." Then his two friends, who were standing near the register waiting I guess for the cashier to get off work, they chime in, start saying the total really slowly, first in Icelandic then in English, and at this point I am getting a little annoyed, because it was not that I did not understand the second utterance by the cashier, I just wanted to know what in the world he had said the first time that so completely confused me. After somewhat bitchily explaining to the friends that I did not need the total explained to me, I turned to the cashier again and said "That is not what you said the first time what did you say the first time?" [All in Icelandic mind you, I was afterall trying to make a point!]. Then finally he said it the paired up way, and I understood him. Said, "Já, nú ég skil þig."

I am of course not angry or upset about it, except that the friends seemed to assume the problem was with my Icelandic language skills, when I can quite assure you that if I was buying something in the states and the person told me the dollar total in the form one uses to say the time, (Twelve Twenty-one) I would have also been confused.

It was not terribly fun, especially since I have in the past had pleasant chats with that same cashier.

Comments

Elísabet said…
Mér finnst þetta nú svolítið fyndið.

(og það er allt of erfitt að kommenta hér, maður þarf alltaf að skrá sig inn)
Lissy said…
Ég hef hurt það áður. Kannski er það eitthvað með min security settings að gera.
Anonymous said…
Sagði hann ekki tólfhundruðtuttuguogein? Það hefði gengið. Ekki bara tólf tuttuguogein, það er út í hött.
Lissy said…
Ef han hefði sagði tólfhundruðtuttuguogein, þá var það eingin miskiling. Han sagði tólf tuttugogein. Ég held hann var svona að leika með numerið - it is like a mirror image, right? 12 21.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps