South Greenland, East Greenland, Greenland

I am in Nuuk, the capital of Greenland. This does not seem as exotic to me as it seems to be to other people, since well, I have been to Greenland before. But then I was in South Greenland, in Eiriksfjord; the cruise ship I was lecturing on stopped there. Between Nuuk and South Greenland is a good 500 kilometers of basically nothing, and that was the same way in the Norse period, two settlements hundreds of miles apart, and yet having regular interaction with one another. There is also a third area of Greenland that is inhabited, East Greenland. Although I have never been there, I have heard it has its own language really and the people are quite different. 

What I have started to notice though is that there is a pretty good connection between East Greenland and Nuuk, regular flights back and forth for instance. What is a little less clear to me is the relationship between East Greenland and South Greenland. There are no historic ties there, and there is no political necessity for a link either, the way there is to Nuuk. 

I can't imagine though that that is the real situation, or anyone's particular intention, that all interaction between South Greenland and East Greenland be mediated through Nuuk. Seems to me they probably have their own links, maybe of an economic nature or tourism based, something along those lines. And if they don't, they should. 

Comments

ג. ג. said…
Is it like the country side of Iceland?
Lissy said…
It is really much more exposed glacial rock in Greenland than in Iceland, and the mountains are much taller, and the people all Inuit, so actually, it does not remind me of Iceland very much at all, because I am pretty geologically minded about such things. And in the taxi from the airport, I was noticing how different the moss is here than in Iceland, but I guess in the general sense of being rocky with moss, people would find a similarity. And of course the wooden painted houses have a touch of Danish. I was able to find Morgunbladid at one cafe though!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps