Instant messaging

I was an instant messaging neophite until recently. But one of my friends has a Gmail account, same as me, and we pretty regularly have a quick convo that way, just to check in, nothing anyone would email about per se. A couple of my friends on Facebook have noticed I was signed in, and have asked how I was doing via the pop-up option, and Skype provides that capability also, when both parties are online, to chat instead of video conferencing, which sometimes saves time. 

I am glad for these ways to keep in touch with friends far and wide. I am also glad for my blog, and my blogging friends. Who knew the world was so full of interesting people! 

Comments

ג. ג. said…
Interesting people are like glue, they stick to one another.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, I always find it funny when people talk about the net making people just sit at home and never get out, I've met just sooo many interesting people via the blog and irc. People that have grown into full friends and come to my house for dinner and such. People that we wouldn't have a clue existed.
Lissy said…
What is the difference between irc and the sort of pop up chats I was talking about, the ones that are tied to both users being logged in at the same time? Or are they all like that?

And I have not forgotten your offer to meet your cat, Hildigunnur! One of these days I will absolutely take you up on that.

My whole expat group is a Facebook phenom, without whom I'd still be bugging my cousins whenever I wanted some company.
Anonymous said…
Oh yes, please do :) Will be fun.

Irc, or Internet Relay Chat doesn't have anything to do with twitter or msn or such, it is a group chat, on special irc servers (I use irc.hi.is but most Icelandic ircers use irc.simnet.is). It is mostly an open forum, anybody can join any channel or chat room. There are operators in any room that take care things don't get too far out of order - hassling and such isn't tolerated. It had its heyday quite some years ago, most ircers now are fairly nerdy - but there are some great people out there, especially on my channel. There are sometimes very lively discussions, even fights about politics and such. I only started using irc a couple of years ago, but got really hooked :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps