Missing the magic

Slate magazine ran an article last week about Iceland. I must confess I did not like the article much. The perspective was a bit empirical, in both senses of the word (coming from the empire and being about empirical reasoning). While the former sense was probably pretty noticeable by most readers, ie: the exoticising of the Icelandic other, it is the latter sense that bothers me more. The article left no room at all, none whatsoever, for the potentiality that there may be power and forces beyond the conventional wisdom of modern science. I am not an advocate for going back to witch doctors, but nor do I say the whole of the matter is known now. I think the ability of the Icelandic people to be comfortable in the grey zone, in acknowledging the potential for things beyond our immediate ability to reason them, is exactly what makes this place special.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps