Bike riding

My dear friend Amanda lives in Copenhagen, and her bicycle keeps getting stolen, which is terribly inconvenient, since bike riding in Copenhagen is a basic necessity. People use it as their main way to get around in the city. In California, by contrast, bike riding is a serious sport, done on the weekends with lots of planning and preparation, loads of expensive equipment and training, arduous 50-mile rides the norm. Here in Iceland, bike riding is virtually unheard of, except by the youngest kids (and German tourists). I myself used to bike-ride the California way, but now have adopted the Icelandic model, ie: I don't.   

Comments

Iris said…
I had an American friend in Reykjavík who used her bike to get from A to B. This lasted until she was blown over by a strong gust on an icy patch next to Tjörnin...
I assume there are a lot of reasons why most Icelanders don't bike.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps