Ásatrú

The belief in the pagan Old Norse gods is very common here in Iceland, exponentially more so than in the United States anyhow (especially when reckoned as a percentage of the population). It is a recognized religion here, with priests and gathering places, and a rather formal belief system. I went to the goði in my part of Iceland about a year ago, and I found out that the rune that governs my life is the rune of love; on this day in the calendar of the gods, a love drink was made out of the blood of fishes, enchanted by vatnadísir (fairies). My day is also ruled by Laufey, the mother of Loki, a shamanistic sorceress who was feared and respected by the gods. My life will be marked by knowledge, a pioneering spirit, eccentricity, seriousness, and self-confidence. 

Of all the readings I have gotten of myself, from the astrological readings a friend did at the Smithsonian to the wisdom of the Chinese zodiac on a restaurant placemat, I rather like this Ásatrú reading, especially since it has included seriousness, unlike the astrological reading. Because I am a pretty serious person, serious about knowledge, serious about trying new things, serious about life. Of course, the Year of the Rat would say I am industrious, which in some ways sounds a bit more complementary than serious. I am not, afterall, completely devoid of humor. As long as it is seriously funny. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps