Moved to the back of the class

When I was in elementary school and junior high, I always took a seat in the first row, nearest the teacher. But sometimes the teacher would send me to the back of the class room, for talking too much to my classmates. This is when I began to realize I may be just a bit too verbally expressive for my own good.

The funny thing is that whenever I am here in Iceland, I basically feel like I´ve been moved to the back of the classroom, since I speak MUCH less here than I do at home. My thoughts get ahead of my ability to express them in Icelandic, so I just stop. I have to say I think this is a good thing for me, since it has really helped me improve my listening skills.

But the last time I went back to the States, all these pent up ideas and words came flooding out of me; I simply could not help myself, I spoke to just about every person I saw at the airport. Poor shoe shine guy, he really got an earfull. I am expecting just about the same thing to happen today and tomorrow, as I arrive State side.

Comments

Iris said…
It has always been one of your character traits that I love! It's great listening to you, so you just keep it up :) And I bet the shoe shine guy did not mind having a gorgeous, smart woman talk to him ;-)
Hope to hear soon from you regardings FL.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps