Sewing and Book Clubs

Almost every Icelandic female seems to belong to a sewing club, a group of friends formed during school days that meet once a month on average, and plan special events during the year together. Not having grown up here, I am not a part of such a group. However, several other "expats", acquainted through Facebook, have formed a book club, and I'm going to my first meeting of that next week. I started reading the book last night, and decided that not everything can be of the same quality as Drottningens Juvelsmycke. Or even Old Man and the Sea.

Comments

lilacsky said…
Congratulations on your book club! One of the things you need is a good list of books to use -- that will give direction to your book club. When I wanted to start a book club the first question I wanted answered was, what book should we read??

I am a total library junkie – I am there 4 days in a week! I would usually scour the library shelves and see what jumps out, until I found this reading journal called “Read, Remember, Recommend” from http://www.bibliopages.com -- it’s just this great little resource with Awards Lists (including the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, Los Angels Times Award for Fiction and National Book Award for Fiction), Notable lists (Oprah’s book club is one of them) and Author Pages. It even has an area for your favorite authors and for valuable reading insights. It’s really helped organize the reading for my book club. (I’ve finished half of the Awards list) Check it out – managing a book club becomes so much more enjoyable with it.

You gotta get ahold of this reading journal! :) Again it's at http://www.bibliopages.com. Good luck with your book club and I hope this helps.
Lissy said…
Thanks! I'll recommend it to the book club.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps