Northern Lights

I saw the Northern Lights briefly during my trip to Iceland, dancing there in the corner of the sky. I didn't get a picture of it, seems almost disrespectful to try to limit a miracle of nature into something so mundane.

I have been awed by the moon on its own sometimes, and when the stars are shinning bright they are wonderful to behold. But there is nothing in the entire world quite like the delicate interplay of green and blue moving seamlessly, wordlessly as one, across the heavens, oblivious to their power to transfix everyone around them. 

The first time I saw the Northern Lights, I was totally overwhelmed. I remember standing outside, completely mesmerized. And afterwards I cried, and I was shaking. Honestly, the experience was so overpowering that the idea for instance of taking a Northern Lights tour created an anxiety, a fear in me. I didn't think I could handle it, not in any kind of public setting. So intense, so personal, so beautiful, I'd just be an emotional wreck.

I wouldn't say I am entirely used to them now, not by a long shot. For me, they still contain the power to make the whole world disappear around me, and all I see are those colors shimmering above me. But on this last trip to Iceland, they didn't scare me, they seemed like old friends I'd missed so much. I was so grateful I got to see them, disappointed the display didn't last a bit longer.

I was listening to Kermit's song this morning, the Rainbow Connection Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see.


And we've been told the same with the Northern Lights, its an illusion of sorts, a bending of light. And some could choose to believe that, that they can be explained as a scientific phenomena. But I know they're wrong, I know the Northern Lights are much more than that. Delicate, ephemeral, powerful, eternal. A sort of perpetual ying and yang in the sky, reminding us that life contains a depth of mystery and magic, in those rare moments when just the right conditions are met. And I am standing there, part of it all.

Comments

Jono said…
I get to see them regularly, but not as often as I like. The gods of the solar wind and magnetism are fickle, but they still inspire awe in the earthbound.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps