Íslandsklukkan

As someone in the field of Old Norse manuscript studies, it is pretty silly that I haven't read Iceland's Bell yet. The novel by Laxness is, from what I understand, historically relevant to the field, and was probably influential in the repatriation of the manuscripts.

Today I guest lectured in a class, where the students had read several chapters of the book, and it was awkward that they had read the book and I had not. Even more awkward was my attempt to gloss over the fact that I hadn't, since of course I really have no excuse.

But oh well, no one is perfect and there is no need to go around beating oneself up. I didn't do anything else terrible or silly or even inappropriate today, in fact I started the morning with a call to my son and ended it by listening to a choir in a church, so a nice wholesome day.

And yet for some reason I've been very depressed, as if something went wrong a long time ago that I don't know how to fix. I have cried three or four times today, it hasn't been good.

My problem with Laxness is that I am too arrogant to read it in English translation, but when I tried to read Paradisar heimt in Icelandic a few years ago, it was a frustrating and disappointing experience. Laxness likes to make up his own spelling for things, and use unusual vocabulary, and I am just not up to all of that. So there you go, 35 years of trying to teach myself Icelandic, and I can't manage the only Icelandic author really worth reading.

I am totally lost.

Comments

Jono said…
Time to cut yourself a little slack. I can't read Icelandic so I have read all of Laxness that is available in English. The hardship incurred under Danish rule is quite severe and difficult to fathom in this book, but it is a fascinating story. Why not read it in English first and then Icelandic? See if the translation is good.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps