Móðirin í Íslenskum Ljósmyndum / Mothers in Icelandic Photographs

Today I received in the mail a beautiful book, filled with photographs of Icelandic women and their babies. It is the exhibition catalogue from the Reykjavík Museum of Photography's exhibition from the year 2000, when Reykjavík was a European City of Culture.

Reading through the book made me tear up, think of my mom and my grandmother and all the photographs I have seen in all the livingrooms of all the family members I have spent time with in Iceland. It made me think of the exhibition at the National Museum, which I have analyzed in an article for Nordisk Museologi as a statement of the importance of women in Icelandic history. And it made me think of all the women I know back in Iceland, most of them mothers, some of them grandmothers, all of them lovely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps