Interesting

Yesterday I wrote a blog about a football game, and my dad commented that he was surprised I could write about sports with such alacrity.

Part of the reason for this is that I have taken the words of Professor George Lakoff from Berkeley to heart. We live by metaphors. Even the most mundane of things in life contains within it the possibility for metaphorical application to larger and more complex issues. And so to me it is always worth having a conversation even about something simple, in as much as it helps us think about our world.

Sports in particular have a plethora of metaphorical layers to them; they are basically a metaphor for life. So to me, there are no boring conversations about daily life. There are only doorways into more interesting subjects that we either choose to walk through or not.

Comments

Jono said…
I can barely spell alacrity, let alone write with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps