Temporary reprieve

My students have been writing "response papers" to each reading we have done in class. Although they constitute 20% of their overall grade for the semester, I am grading each paper on a check, check plus or check minus scale, with a maximum of 5 points per paper. In other words, I am grading those response papers really easy.

By contrast, this week I am grading the first research paper they have had to write for this course. They will have a second one later in the semester. These I am grading much harder, in as much as I have made it clear that an A paper has to not just meet all my expectations, but actually exceed them.

Though I am not done grading, it does seem that the students are putting in a sincere effort. But so far none of the papers have really wowed me.

The one about cows inhabiting Iceland did amuse me, however.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps