Building aesthetics

The manager of the complex I moved into explained to me that it was "built by a bunch of hippies in the 60s". Ever since he told me that, I have been looking for evidence of some sort of hippie-love-commune aesthetic to the building. The shape of the building, seen from the air, would be like a hammer and sickle, maybe? Well anyhow, the main section of the building is a u shape that has a pool in the middle, and maybe the idea was that all the residents would hang out at the pool together? (Now a days, no one goes to the pool if they see anyone else there.) Inside the apartment, there is even less evidence of some sort of hippy aesthetic; rather it seems to inculcate a traditional family life, with his and her sinks and his and her closets. This is not a swinging bachelor pad.

So, anyhow, I think I may offer to the building manager that the building is built in a Scandinavian modernist style, which is not a hippy aesthetic.

The thing that is rather hippy commune about it, though, is the rent. I could afford to keep paying the rent with nothing other than a part-time job at a coffee shop, I do believe.

Comments

William said…
please aim your sights a bit higher!
Lissy said…
Haha, yes Dad I will! With a Master's in Anthropology, and a PhD in Scandinavian, I actually should be in pretty good shape, since most of the unemployment if for people without post-secondary education.

But if not, I will at least try for a coffee shop that only carries 3rd world fair trade coffee and which has furniture all in Scandinavian design, thus utilizing my vast education.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps