On being a good teacher

Today I have to review the evaluations that the students gave me from the last time I taught. I have never considered myself a great teacher or anything, but this semester, I must say, I feel a lot more on top of the whole teaching thing. 

The main difference for me this time around is I seem to have a better appreciation of the fact that different students have different skills they need to master. Some may be very good in some areas, but lacking a bit in on specific, and crucial, area. Other students may be generally speaking OK, but not excellent at any one skill, neither reading comprehension nor writing. I am becoming a lot more aware of these distinctions, and at learning how to motivate and challenge the students in the area where there is room for improvement. 

The last time I taught, it was almost as if I thought all the students knew how to read and write better than me, and that I had little or nothing to teach them. I have no rid myself of this idea/delusion, and am ready to say that I do have a thing or two to show them.   

Comments

Anonymous said…
Realizing that is the first step. Good luck on your journey!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps