Teaching

I start teaching a week from tomorrow, and am looking forward to getting the syllabus all worked out this week. I am not a natural born teacher by any means, mostly because I usually think my students already know everything I am trying to teach them. But I enjoy public speaking, and I am not shy or reserved, so in that sense I find teaching fun, as a sort of performance.

The professors in my department know this about me, they know that the museum field is really my passion, and they have always shown me respect as a museum professional who is trying to finish her PhD.  But in order to do so, I rather need to teach. So now I am just trying to convince myself that indeed, I may actually have a thing or two that I could teach my students. And it will be fun.

Comments

Iris said…
What are you teaching? Anthony is teaching 3 courses over here and has to have 5 mandatory office hours per week. Seems kind of harsh coming from the German system but then again maybe here students don't feel like their a nuisance for their professors?
Lissy said…
Well, I am only teaching one course, which is considered a 50% load. Usually professors teach two courses one semester and three courses the other semester, so I am not surprised Ant is getting hit with 3!

The worst thing about office hours in my mind is when no one shows up, so I put in it my syllabus that everyone has to come to office hours once per semester.

I have been thinking about you, moving with two little ones, every time I start feeling sorry for myself with this move here to Berkeley! Skype me when you get the chance!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps