Slovak

I need to ask my Dad, I never can quite remember. His grandmother, who raised him, her name was Katrin. She immigrated to New York from what was then the Austrio-Hungarian Empire. The village she came from was on the Danube. Her last name was Ulyanke.

I think it is possible she was ethnically Slovakian, but I am not sure.

I have always been interested in the political situation in Eastern Europe, wrote my first ever research paper about that topic, and like Woodrow Wilson because of his interest in that region. But I do not invest a lot personally in it. It is interesting and I have always liked learning more about it, but it is not an area near and dear to my heart. Not like Iceland. Not by a long shot.

I would for instance never want to move there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps