It is a dead issue

I was listening to the news on Bylgjan this morning driving into the city (and realizing I need to just have Bylgjan on all day at home to help me with my dissertation antsyness). Anyhow, the top news story was about a murder, and a call for information leading to arrest of the suspect. Details were included about the brutality of the crime -- throat slit and ear chopped off, before the body was disemboweled and butchered, pieces left by the side of the road. The newscaster had a suitable tone of disgust over the whole affair. The victim, clearly, was innocent of any wrongdoing.

The victim was a lamb.

My American friends and I often comment about how animal stories make it into the news in Iceland the way stories about humans would in the US. A cat killing birds on the heaths was making headlines a few weeks ago. The US news media does not give much coverage to the death of animals, I must say, but it is one of my favorite things about living here. The dead, no matter the species, deserve to have their passing noted.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps