Air conditioning

When I was in Florida, I was freezing inside all of the buildings, which were chilled to 70 degrees, and dying outside, which was a very steamy 90 degrees.  With just one step, there was a huge and sudden change in temperature and humidity, bam! I was not sure which change I liked less, honestly, going from the heat to the cold or cold to the heat. But usually I found myself more anxious to get out of the air-conditioning than out of the heat.

Iceland does not have air-conditioning. Of course there might be some computer room somewhere with some sort of cooling system, but no homes, no public buildings, not even the grocery stores (outside of the refrigerated rooms) have air-conditioning.

So today I went up to the airport to fill out some paperwork (and try to get Icelandair to update my frequent flyer account), and was, for the first time in my life here probably, rather appalled at the conditions in the arrival hall. It was jam packed with people, there was no air circulating, and it was hot! The glass ceiling that looks so cool from the road had turned the airport into some sort of greenhouse, and it was suffocating.

I am assuming, however, that things will be much more civilized the next time I head up to Leifstöð. Weather like this only lasts so long here in Iceland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps