Reykjanes

My favorite part of the drive between Keflavík and Reykjavík is the rocky stretch just before the aluminum factory comes into view, a place where old farms and new summer houses cling to rocky outcrops between tidal pools. I have always wanted to go walk around there, but have never taken the time.

I always watch the waves (instead of the road, I know) when I drive past there. Waves in Iceland are different than waves in California. Waves in California are steady and smooth, whereas the waves here are choppy and constant. The waves in California draw your eye out into the expanse of the ocean, whereas the waves here bring attention to the shore, to the place where the land and the sea meet.

Comments

MamaOlive said…
Beautiful, and I agree completely.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps