The kindest people I know

Alda calls Iceland "Niceland", and in a similar vein, recently a project called Iceland wants to be your friend was started by the tourist board. Now of course there are nice people and good people all over the world doing all sorts of thoughtful things, but as I was explaining to my friends Anthony and Iris, it really does seem to me that the expectation of fellow-feeling, consideration, and sympathy is greater here in Iceland than in the United States. You always have to ask how people are doing, and you have to be genuinely interested in the answer. Sometimes, one needs to go out of one's way to do things that help another person have the time, space, and encouragement they need to take care of personal matters.

And so I say with all sincerity, I hope Gunnar's ailing mother welcomes hearing her son's voice, and I hope Bjössi's wife feels much better soon. They are all good people.

Comments

Ko-Leen said…
In Icelandic culture class we were told to always ask how someone was doing, and when we were asked to always answer with something positive.
Allt gott!
She (my teacher) said that no matter what, even if your house burned down and you crashed your car, you were supposed to say everything was great, because that is what is expected.
Maybe this is a difference in Reykjanesbær?
Lissy said…
That's interesting. I do think one is not supposed to go on and on complaining, but mostly that is because here, everyone is supposed to be happy. If something really bad, like a death in the family, happens, you are absolutely allowed to talk about it. Your teacher was over simplifying!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps