Scotsmen in Iceland

Yesterday at the bilaskodun I was reading the only newspaper they had, a Frettabladid from several days ago. It included an indepth story on the rescue of a Scottish woman and her son from a nearly 24 hour ordeal stuck on a glacier, when the snowmobiling company leading their tour under stormy conditions failed to take note of it when she lost sight of the group and got lost. The story seemed to put a bit of blame also on the husband, since it pointed out he also failed to take note of her not being along for the latter part of the ride, and the picture of him looked for all the world like he was in an orange prison jumper. But the story ended on a happier note, of her talking about her gratitude at being rescued, and her hopes of coming back to Iceland since the emotional response to her had been so honest and open. I think everyone really admired her survival skills, using the snowmobile as a wind block and building a snow cave to keep her and her son warm. They were found in surprisingly good condition.

So after reading that, I have new admiration for Scotland, and in fact feel a bit proud that this afternoon I am going to grab a freebee chair from a Scottish girl living here (Kopavogur to be exact) who is leaving soon. Her name is Kate, and she's been living in Iceland for about 5 years now I guess, married to an Icelandic guy and they have a little baby girl. I do not know exactly why they are leaving, but anyhow, I hope her story will be the same, that she might want to come back again soon. At any rate, I will make sure her wicker chair will find a nice new home, amongst my other hand-me-down furniture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps