Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Today is a Federal Holiday in the United States, Martin Luther King Jr. day. My son reminded me about the Jr. part, which was really cute. "No mom, his name is not Martin Luther King. His name is Martin Luther King JUNIOR." I guess I should have added, "Actually, it is Doctor Martin Luther King Junior" but I did not want to argue with a 4 year old.

Anyhow, this is a holiday that has not yet taken on a particular tradition in the United States--no barbeques or blow-out sales--and a lot of businesses ignore it. But at least there is some hope that Palmer will know what a remarkable man Dr. King was, the kind of person who believed equality and justice was attainable, no matter how preposterous it sounded to everyone around him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps