It is a small world, afterall!

When I told my mom about how my stuff is lost, and boxes came to my house marked Brazil, she said to me, quick as a wick as usual, "Why don't you email the guy whose name is on the boxes?" I blinked at this for a minute, since of course it is the shipping companies that need to figure it out. But after a week of them not making any real headway, I took my mom's suggestion to heart. Googled the company name on the box, and the person's name (only the first name, the last name was hard to read in the photos I had). Then I was directed to the Haas School of Business site, UC Berkeley! Turns out this fellow Cal Bear had graduated and taken a job with a consulting firm in Sao Pablo, Brazil! And get this, he is on the same network as me on Facebook, so I was able to send him a message there. He tells me that "his" shipment (ie: most likely mine) is due in two days, and he'll let me know what stuff arrives.

Maybe this is redundant to what the shippers are doing, and probably not necessary. But it helps me feel two things. First of all, it makes me feel a little more in control of the situation, not just beholden to some shippers that have their own monetary interests to look after. Secondly, it makes me realize just how great the internet is, for giving us knowledge, access, and confidence in the world around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps