Happy New Year!

For several years I have heard about how great the fireworks are in Reykjavik for New Year's Eve. I assumed everyone was talking about a firework display put on by the city, similar to what is done on menningjarnótt, or even ljósanótt. So although i was invited to a party in the city with a "great view of the fireworks" I thought it was just as good to give it a pass and stay local here in Reykjanesbær.

And wow am I happy I did.

Because as I began to understand sometime after we'd started on the turkey and mashed potatoes, on New Year's Eve here in Iceland, every other family in Iceland puts on their own fireworks show, in their front yard.

When I was a kid in Southern California, we used to all go see the official fireworks put on by the city for the 4th of July. That was usually at 9pm or even a little earlier. Then everyone would find their way back home, whereupon all the neighbors would gather in the street with their own stash of fireworks, some cool drinks, and lawn chairs. Then we would sit there until late into the night, setting off fireworks. It was a lot of fun. When I was 14 or 15 or so, it became illegal to have any at home fireworks. It was a firedanger. It caused pollution. Kids got their hands wounded and eyes shot out. But in a community where no one hardly ever talks to the the neighbors, loosing out on this ritual of gather in the front yards once a year was unfortunate.

So, I genuinely enjoyed heading out with the kids at 9pm or so, while we lit sparklers, set off firecrackers, and alit a few fountains and whirly gigs. I remembered all of those from California, before the ban. The neighbors down the street were doing the same, I could hear fireworks, even see a few, from a few streets over. I was laughing and telling my cousin how great it was, and she kept saying, "just wait."

Well, at 11;30, after watching the satirical sketch comedy show Skaupur do their year in review special (which I surmise every person in Iceland watched last night), we all went back outside. And then oh my goodness. Seriously, one sky-high, beautifully colored firework after another, from every direction, practically from every house, all over town, for a good 45 minutes. It was absolutely amazing.

The video I posted last night from my cell phone in no way did the whole thing justice.

Comments

MamaOlive said…
It is amazing. We were there for New Year's 2000, and it was quite a show.
Anonymous said…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6IC5YxhYQI - have seen more though...
Lissy said…
Really, Hildigunnur? My cousin said here in Reykjanesbaer that she thought it was more than last year. We figured Icelanders maybe did not have money for vacations, but they did have money for Fireworks. Some sort of new poverty index scale.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps